Fredericksburg Texas Lodge 794 A.F. & A.M.
Established July 18, 1896
By James Murdock McCrae
The history of Masonry in Fredericksburg begins with the settlers of Zodiac petitioning the Grand Lodge of Texas in 1848 for dispensation to establish a Lodge in that small Mormon town east of Fredericksburg, but the petition was denied. Then on January 20, 1852 Masonic Lodge No. 100 of Fredericksburg, Texas (known as Freedom Lodge) was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Texas. Freedom Lodge 100 demised in 1856 due to a lack of members. The second Masonic Lodge in Gillespie County was Willow Lodge No. 746 A.F. & A.M. in the town of Willow City which was chartered in 1893 and demised in 1924 due to a lack of membership.
The remaining Masonic Lodge in Gillespie County, Fredericksburg Lodge No. 794, was chartered September 5, 1896 and began meeting in the Schandua Building on San Saba Street (now Main Street) in downtown Fredericksburg.
Today Fredericksburg Lodge No. 794 A.F. & A.M. is an active and productive element within the community, contributing to the growth and success of the area through its many outreach programs and services.
Fredericksburg Masonic Lodge BuildingsThe first lodge home for Fredericksburg Lodge No. 794 was in the Schandua Building located in the 200 Block of E. San Saba Street
1896 - 1910
(Main Street). The Lodge met on the second floor of the building in exchange for some construction costs.